Ex-New Orleans Officer Freed Pending Retrial
Judge Kurt Engelhardt said Arthur Kaufman is not charged with violent conduct in the case.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A federal judge has ordered the release on bond of a retired New Orleans police sergeant awaiting a new trial on charges stemming from deadly shootings in Hurricane Katrina’s aftermath.
U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt said in Tuesday’s order that Arthur Kaufman is not charged with violent conduct in connection with gunfire at the Danziger Bridge, where police shot and killed two unarmed people and wounded four others.
Prosecutors had not opposed Kaufman’s latest bond request, noting Kauffman didn’t fire a gun in the incident.
Kaufman is one of five former officers whose convictions were thrown out when Engelhardt ruled the case had been tainted by prosecutorial misconduct. Kaufman was serving a six-year sentence. Jurors had convicted him of participating in a cover-up.
Kaufman’s bond was set at $100,000.