Combative man dies in custody of Texas police
By David Burge
El Paso Times, Texas
EL PASO — A 36-year-old man who was combative with officers and tried to resist arrest died Sunday morning after being taken into custody, police said.
Officers responded to a domestic disturbance call along the 1300 block of North Mesa at about 4 a.m. The first officer on the scene observed the man yelling and screaming outside. The officer tried to investigate what was happening and the man became aggressive toward the officer, police said.
The officer tried to arrest the man and he allegedly began to resist. The officer grabbed the man and held him until assistance arrived.
Assisting officers were able to help the officer handcuff the man and he was then taken to Central Regional Command Center.
While in transport, the man became unresponsive. Officers began to administer first aid until fire-medical crews arrived.
He was then taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.
An investigation is being conducted by the Crimes Against Persons Unit and Internal Affairs.
Witnesses have stated that the man was acting irrationally and violent as if under the influence of some kind of narcotic.
Detectives will await for autopsy and toxicology results to learn the cause of death and confirm any drug use.
- Gunfight at Fresno Biker Club Kills 1, Wounds 12 (newsusjournal.com)
- Man, 36, dies while in El Paso police custody (khou.com)
- Two policeman injured during gunfight in Kashmir’s summer capital (imtiyazjournalist.wordpress.com)
- Elbert County men dressed as women arrested at meeting with Athens teen (onlineathens.com)
- AR15NEWS Exlcusive Discount – Innovative Gunfighter Solutions (ar15news.com)
- Elbert County men dressed as women arrested at meeting with Athens teen (m.onlineathens.com)
- Eight policemen injured in Srinagar gunfight (thehindu.com)
- Man, 36, dies while in El Paso police custody (star-telegram.com)